Monday, November 29, 2010

"The language of truth is simple." --Seneca

Louisiana Lingo time!  Today's word is: "hum."

hum (hŭm) v. 1. to throw with great force.

This may be my favorite word that I've acquired  since moving to Louisiana, and  unlike "come see," this one is actually on UrbanDictionary.

One night at church, I told the kids they could play with the water baton with the stipulation that they not chuck it across the room (my own Alabama term for "throwing with great force").  They were greatly confused, but fortunately Mrs. Jackie was there to help us understand one another.  After explaining what I meant, Mrs. Jackie said, "Oh, we would say, 'don't hum it' instead." 

Apparently "hum" comes from the sound an object makes when thrown with great force--like you threw it so hard it hummed.  It is a standard verb in these parts, and I love telling my kids at church, "Don't hum it," or "Johnny, you can sit out this round for humming the ball." 

No comments:

Post a Comment