Wednesday, December 1, 2010

"And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovah-jireh. As it is said to this day, In the mount of Jehovah it shall be provided." --Genesis 22:14

A long time ago, there was Abraham.  And God promised Abraham that he would make his family into a great nation, so long as his family followed God.  There was one little problem, though.  Abram and his wife Sarah were old, and they had never had babies.  It's kind of hard for God to multiply your family into a nation when there are no children in the mix.  After years of waiting and mistakes, though, God gave them a baby named Isaac.  And they loved him.

One day, God asked Abraham to take Isaac to the mountain to sacrifice him.  Isaac, his precious boy whom he had waited decades for.  But Abraham trusted God.  He knew that God would provide regardless of what happened.  When Abraham placed Isaac on the altar, and brought the blade to his throat, God stopped him.  You see, God was testing his faithfulness, and Abraham had passed.  God told Abraham that there was a ram in the bushes.  He took it to the altar and sacrificed it instead of Isaac.  And he was so happy.

"And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovah-jireh. As it is said to this day, In the mount of Jehovah it shall be provided." Genesis 22:14
The very site where he nearly killed his son became a place of great rejoicing for Abraham.  God had provided, as he always shall!

Now, I don't have a son, or a daughter, and I don't offer sacrifices like Abraham did under the new covenant of grace.  I do, however, have needs.

Money's been a little tight lately.  Not "I can't pay my rent" tight, but tight enough to make me sweat, and not eat out.  Well, I made my lunch last night, and popped it in the fridge, so I wouldn't have to go out for lunch (I normally bring my lunch just because I hate going out at lunch time, but this week, I couldn't really afford to anyway).  I remembered when I walked into the office this morning that I forgot my lunch box.  I asked God to provide my lunch, and if he did not, I knew that he would make my paycheck stretch that far.

At 10:45 a.m. Tommy, one of our techs walks in and beelines to my desk.  I look up at him, and ask if I can help him.  Tommy's a great guy.  He works hard to support his son (he's divorced), he always shows up on time, he never gripes about early hours, and I know that I can count on him.  He also moonlights at Papa John's.

So, as I was saying, he walks in, and stands at my desk, and I ask him what I can do for him, and he says, "There's some pizza in the break room."  How about that!  From time to time, Tommy brings leftover pizza to the office for us.  He hasn't done it in a while, and I had almost forgotten, but God, in his provision, sent Tommy with pizza.  He brought in buffalo wings, chicken tenders, applie pie pastry pizza stuff, pepperoni and mushroom pizza (my favorite!), and chicken/sausage/pepperoni/jalapeno pizza.  Tell me my God isn't awesome!  He even sent my favorite pizza.

You might think it's silly to get so excited about a meal, but I don't want to overlook the little things.  And right now, even the dollar menu isn't that little.

Thank you God for providing my "daily bread"!  Thank you for giving me what my heart desired, not just the bare essentials.  You are an awesome, wonderful, and loving father who not only wants me to be fed, but happy, too.

Location : 4300-4398 Seminary Pl, New Orleans, LA 70126,

No comments:

Post a Comment