Thursday, August 12, 2010

"Camp does alot for kids." --Kim Pierce

I was reminiscing this morning at work about the trip home from camp this summer, so I thought I'd share bits and pieces slowly before I forget them all.  As I feel awkward sharing about minors online, I'll change their names, either to nickname I normally call them, or one that just makes sense to me.

The story that brought this on was really about the last ten minutes I was in the car with my kiddos after coming back from camp. I had one 5th grade girl, a 5th grade boy, a 3rd grade boy, and a 2nd grade boy in my car.  The 5th grade girl is my sidekick, which is why she was in my car.  She had the option to ride in the van with the other girls her age, but chose to come with me.  I have to admit that I might have encouraged her presence, because I wasn't sure that I wanted to ride with just the boys by myself.  So, my sidekick (from here on out referred to as either Carl or Bucky) rode with me to and from camp.

Bucky is a trip.  She is the best mixture of childhood and maturity.  She's not afraid to be silly and play, but she's also reliable and trustworthy.  If I ask her to go do something, she does it without complaint or dawdling.  When we were going to and from camp she was the one in charge of the map and the phone, therefore leaving my hands free to drive.  When someone called, she relayed the messages without error, and gave my responses clearly.  However, she also called Justin to tell him knock-knock jokes.  That's my Carl.

When we first entered Norco, she insisted we roll the windows down.  The air was cool in the car, and for once, none of the boys were stinking it up, so I was a bit confused.  She continued to insist without giving a specific reason why, and since there was really no harm, I rolled down the windows.  She then proceeded to hang her head out of the car and breathe deeply.  She encouraged the others to do likewise, saying, "Come on! Breathe that Norco air!  It smells like home!"  I said, "Carl, all I smell is the refinery."  She responded, "I know!  It smells like home!"

I love my Bucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment