Friday, August 13, 2010

“Those who know nothing of foreign languages know nothing of their own.” --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Louisiana Lingo time!  Today's phrase is: "come see."

come see (kum sē) v. 1. to look at  2. to join the speaker and peruse the object of the speaker's attention with him.  3. to join the speaker in a conversation.

Example:  What an awesome YouTube video--Karen, come see!

Example:  Karen, I'm confused.  Come see for a minute.

This is quite possibly my least favorite of my newly learned Louisiana lingo.  There are days at work that I feel like I'm surrounded by those seagulls on Finding Nemo that say, "Mine!  Mine!  Mine!  Mine!  Mine!  Mine!  Mine!  Mine!  Mine!  Mine!  Mine!  Mine!  Mine!  Mine!  Mine!  Mine!  Mine!  Mine!  Mine!" all the time, except it's, "Karen, come see!"  "Oh, come see!"  "Come see, come see!"  "Come see Karen!"  "This is so funny, come see!"  "Miss Karen, come see!"  And if I hesitate or tell the speaker no, they become more insistent saying, "Come see, come see, come see, come see..." until you respond appropriately.

At camp Carl insisted that I "come see" and I told her to "go see," and she got confused.  What kills me is that sometimes, it's just a summons to have a conversation, so rather than "Can I talk to you for a minute?" it's "Come see."

No comments:

Post a Comment